February 26, 2014

All Day Grilled Cheese



One of my all time favorite comfort foods is a simple grilled cheese sandwich. I doubt I will ever outgrow my love for it, but as I get older and my tastes change, I have come to enjoy more creative takes on traditional recipes. Case in point: while vacationing in Chicago I ordered a very similar sandwich from the hotel's restaurant one morning...and again the next morning...and the morning after that. My husband just shook his head at me but I couldn't help myself, it was heaven! When we made it home the first meal I cooked was this, and once my husband tried it he gave me a telling look that he immediately understood why I had ordered this so many times. This is not much of a recipe, more of a fresh take on the classic grilled cheese.

This humble looking sandwich may not look like much, but for a quick meal it packs a surprising amount of excellent nutrition with ingredients you may have sitting in your refrigerator. Whether you've been following my posts for years or if you are a more recent subscriber, you know that I am pro-egg. We all know they are a good source of protein, but eggs are also a good source of  omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins D and E, selenium, vitamins B2, B5, B12, and choline. But what about cholesterol? A few small studies comparing conventional eggs (like those from your mega mart) with pastured eggs (think free-range chickens that forage in grass and and roam as nature intended) have found that pastured eggs have almost 25% less cholesterol, are lower in saturated fat, and have more omega 3's, vitamin A and beta carotene. In other words, shopping for the right egg can make a big difference! You also get a boost of nutrition from fresh avocado which is a good source of heart healthy mono- and polyunsaturated fats and boasts a shockingly high fiber content (10 grams per cup, who knew?).

With rich ingredients like bread, oil, cheese, egg and avocado, this isn't a low calorie recipe. One serving contains 440 calories and 26 grams of fat, just slightly better than a quarter pound cheeseburger from a typical fast food restaurant. But if you're craving an indulgence that will keep you satisfied far longer than something from the drive thru, then this sandwich will do. You could boost the nutritional content further by adding sliced tomato or some fresh spinach as well, or cut your calories by skipping the second slice of bread and serving this as an open face sandwich. I recommend using a good crusty loaf of artisan sourdough or a homemade bread like my Honey Wheat Bread. This recipe really does deliver on it's advertising - you'll be surprisingly satiated all day. And just for full disclosure: I was on vacation so the original sandwich had a little bacon on it, which I would highly recommend trying if you are so carnivorously inclined. Enjoy!

All Day Grilled Cheese, serves 1
2 slices of sourdough bread
1/2 tsp grapeseed oil
1 oz reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese, sliced
1 egg, basted to desired doneness
1/4 avocado, sliced
Sriracha Sauce
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Brush one side of the bread lightly with oil and place in heated skillet oil side down. Top with cheese and let cook until bread is nicely toasted and cheese has started to melt. Remove from pan and set aside.  Turn heat down to medium low and baste the egg to desired doneness. To assemble the sandwich, place the egg on top of the melted cheese, add avocado slices and a drizzle of Sriracha sauce, salt and pepper to taste, and top with the second slice of grilled bread. Enjoy immediately.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...