January 29, 2012

Basted Eggs

I love fried eggs in the morning but I have an aversion to runny yolks, so I generally have to cook the snot out of my egg whites to get a fully cooked yolk.  I hate the resulting stringy, crispy, egg whites that are left and don't get me started on the amount of butter I added to the pan to keep the eggs from sticking.  This morning, I want to tell you about a better way to cook your eggs.

Basting is a way to cook a perfect fried egg with minimal added fat and get a thick, tender egg white to match your perfectly cooked yolk.  It's almost a hybrid between an egg fried sunny side up and a poached egg.  So if this is such a great way to cook eggs, why doesn't everyone do it? No clue, but this needs to change.  Basting is a simple principle, you're just adding a little water to the pan to steam your eggs and help them cook evenly.  All you need to get started is a frying pan with a lid.  Enjoy!

Basted Eggs
Heat a frying pan with a lid over medium heat.  Spray with non-stick cooking spray and add a teaspoon of butter.  Crack eggs into the pan, wait a minute until the whites just start to set (begin turning white).  Add a 1-2 tablespoons of water or a couple of ice cubes to the pan and immediately cover.  Let eggs steam and cook undisturbed for 3-4 minutes or until the yolks are cooked to desired doneness.

Crack eggs into greased pan.

Cook eggs until whites begin to set or turn white.  Add 1-2 T. water or
a couple of ice cubes to the pan.

After adding water, cover pan and cook 3-4 minutes to desired doneness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...