January 24, 2012

Spiced Sweet Potato Salad

I have a love hate relationship with salads.  I love ordering fancy salads at restaurants, but I hate the disappointment I feel when I realize how simple it would be to make the same dish at home.  I love the idea of making a big fancy salad at home, but I hate that a salad you make at home never tastes as good as a salad you paid for.  But during a study break the other day I found myself picking through my refrigerator trying to piece together enough ingredients for a fast dinner, and I stumbled upon salad-making gold!  Having the right mix of salad greens made all the difference.  Trust me, if you have some fresh dill, you should throw a little of that in there too.  I know, it makes absolutely no sense, but it tastes amazing with the rest of the flavors in this salad.  It's hearty, nutritious, absolutely gorgeous, and it was ready in 20 minutes.

Spiced Sweet Potato Salad, Serves 4
2 sweet potatoes, cut in 1/2" dice
2 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
Pinch of salt
1 T. oil
4 c. mixed salad greens
1 c. grape tomatoes
1 bell pepper, sliced thin
1 avocado, diced
Lime juice
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
Handful fresh herbs of your choice chopped (or use a salad mix that contains fresh herbs)

Toss sweet potatoes in oil, cumin and cayenne pepper to coat.  Place on a baking sheet and roast at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until tender to bite.  Let cool 5 minutes.  Toss together cooled potatoes, salad greens, tomatoes, bell pepper, herbs, and beans.  Cover avocado in lime juice then and add to salad mix.  Serve with your dressing or try my Honey Lime Vinaigrette.

1 comment:

  1. This is GORGEOUS (as are the rest of the photos!). I am going to make it this weekend and I bet the kids will love it. Plus it looks easy!!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...