January 26, 2012

Duke's Wild Rice Hotdish


Two years ago my Dad died from pancreatic cancer, and the world lost a wonderful person and a pretty fantastic cook.  If my basic cooking strategy is to use fresh ingredients and simple preparation, my Dad's cooking strategy was to always cook things low and slow.  I loved coming home from college on weekends because I could count on trying one of his experimental hotdishes.  No matter how bizarre the ingredients (potato chips, rice, and vegetable soup - really?), they were always delicious and tasted better the next day.  Holidays were also a special occasion because my Dad's formula for entertaining guests was for every three guests you needed two different types of meat.  I'm sure my decision to become vegetarian is in some because I know that no one will ever make a prime rib like Duke could!

This recipe of my Dad's is one of my personal favorites, and it certainly was a crowd pleaser!  Cooked low and slow in one of his beloved crock pots, this dish really sums up all of the flavors of my childhood.  The first time he made it we tasted it together and debated what, if anything, it needed.  His eyes lit up and he said, "I know what it's missing," and he proceeded to add 1/2 lb. of butter to the crock pot.  And he was right!

To my strict vegan and vegetarian readers: this recipe does call for canned french onion soup which is usually made with beef stock.  I don't know if there are truly vegetarian versions of french onion soup available in grocery stores, but it is easy to make your own french onion soup at home.  Here's a link to a good looking recipe.  If you do make your own your own soup, substitute 3 cups of homemade french onion soup for the condensed soup in this recipe.

I have made a few minor changes to the original recipe making it a little bit healthier, but this is one of those special dishes that really is nice on it's own.  It couldn't be any simpler to make, you just need a can opener and a crock pot.  It also freezes well for future use.  Enjoy!

Dad and me in the garden.
Duke's Wild Rice Hotdish, Serves 8
1 cup uncooked brown rice
1 cup uncooked wild rice
2-10.5 oz cans french onion soup, undiluted
1-14.5 oz can vegetable stock
3-4oz cans sliced mushrooms, drained
2 cans sliced water chestnuts, drained

Add all ingredients to the crock pot.  Set heat to low and let cook for 4-6 hours or until rice is tender, stirring occasionally.

This recipe weighs in at just 225 calories per serving, so I wouldn't object if you added 1-2 T. of butter to your crock pot just before serving as a special treat.

2 comments:

  1. I will have to try...in honor of Duke!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made this over the weekend...my kids scarfed it down! (so did I) Yummy and super easy.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...